Thursday, August 21, 2014

WAR STORY

They say the only difference between a War Story and a Fairy Tale is a Fairy Tale begins with 'Once Upon A Time', and a War Story begins with 'There We Were, No Shit . . .'

This happened early in the 00's - I was back at Bragg for some TDY deal . . . S.L.


It was lunchtime and I had a hankering for some Taco Bell so that's were we ended up, on Yadkin Road. I'm in line waiting for my turn at the counter, when suddenly this young blonde ponytail girlie soldier in front of me with a MEDDAC patch on her shoulder turns and points to my Combat Diver badge on my BDUs.


"Excuse me Sergeant, WHAT'S THAT???"

I've been waiting for an opportunity like this for over ten years. I couldn't resist.

"Space Shuttle Door Gunner."

"REALLY ? ? ?"

She took the hook, now I had to play the line.

"Uh, yeah. It was a program they introduced back during the Reagan Administration. Part of his Star Wars Initiative, the thing that ended up bankrupting the Soviet Union. The operation was codenamed BRILLIANT PEBBLES. You've probably heard of it, it's since been declassified."

Young Blonde Ponytail Girlie was looking at me like a goldfish, mouth wide open. I knew I had her totally hooked, so it was time to reel her in.

"They never deployed us, but we completed the training, to include backseat rides in the SR-71 - that's astronaut qualified right there - so a limited number of us were awarded the badge and orders."


Poor girl was transfixed. I had her totally under the spell. The Special Force mystique - there's nothing like it, our version of Jedi Mind Tricks.

I was spouting 100% pure unadulterated Bullshit. But I'm not a Bullshitter, I simply couldn't keep up the Bullshit. I finally said, "Do you believe me?"

Young Blonde Ponytail Girlie went red right up to the hairline.

Hell, all I ever did was THIS:


I often wonder how far I would have made it with her if I'd kept up the charade. She was really cute.

STORMBRINGER SENDS

8 comments:

  1. I'm sure you're suitably ashamed of yourself...

    One of our guys told a girl that our odd-looking ship (Ramform Explorer) was in town to do an X-Files episode.
    The local TV station showed up next day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my Uncle, CSM George E. Miller, proudly displayed in my office wearing this very badge right below his Jump Wings. I have heard some legendary tales from his days as an instructor in Key West. Thank you gentlemen for the suffering you endure on our behalf. RESPECT

    DOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew your Uncle George Miller. He was one of the best Sergeants Major in US Special Forces. He helped me at a critical point in my career, and I had the honor to be present at his funeral at Arlington. CSM George Miller was/is an American Hero.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much!!! It was just before his memorial at JFK chapel I was turned on to your blog and saw him mentioned there. I have been reading it ever since. I appreciate what you do. I always had so much hero worship for the Ole Smaj since I was small. I keep his picture and loads of my SF stuff he gave me proudly displayed. He called me on my honeymoon and had us come by for a couple of days and took me to a DZ, saw Bronze Bruce, had breakfast in the chow hall with a whole room of Green Berets and visited the team house and met his Col. and some A-teams. One of the most memorable days of my life. You Men of the SF will always hold a special place in my life. I am eternally thankful to you all. Thank you for your service and kind words. I appreciate you very much.

      With deepest respect!! DOL
      Chad

      Delete
  3. Catch-and-Release. Somewhat unusual for a long-tabber according to my observations.
    You can usually identify a bullshitter; they tell you they aren't.
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question is: If you had just left it at "Diver" would she still have gone "red right up to the hairline".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was the George Miller you know a Team Medic in the early days of his career? I have a pic of the George Miller I knew back in '71-'72 time frame at B-36. Wondering if it's the same guy you knew. Great guy!

    ReplyDelete