Friday, July 16, 2010

WHAT TANGLED WEBS WE WEAVE




The BP logo used to crack me up; I'd point it out to my wife: "Look! How stupid do they think we are? Their whole corporate image is wrapped up in how good they are for the environment; they make it look like when you put their stuff in your car you're putting a little bit of green sunshine in there . . . but they're an oil company for crying out loud!"

I drive a VW Passat turbo-diesel; I love my fahrvergnügen, especially on hills, but the "clean diesel, bio-diesel" themes they're always pushing - especially over there in Europe - crack me up even more. It's diesel for crying out loud, let's call it for what it is - especially when you're passing on a hill, the fahrvergnügen's signature move; nice little black cloud of "bio-diesel" coming out the backside there.

Of course, since the Deepwater Horizon was attacked I mean blown-up-by-accident I've been dutifully going out of my way to patronize BP filling stations - we capitalist pigs have to support one another, right? That is, until the latest angle on the Lockerbie Bomber story broke . . .


BP Admits to Libya Oil-for-Terrorist-Swap Meddling


BP admitted on Thursday that it lobbied the British government to carry out a prisoner-transfer with the Libyan government because it feared a delay would damage its business in the country.


Just to keep this thing in perspective, we're talking about the guy behind THIS outrage:




It was almost nine months from the release of the Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi:



. . . to the development of THIS mess:




Normally I'm all for laissez-faire capitalism, but there has to be a moral aspect to your actions . . . talk about your evil profit motive . . . talk about your BAD KHARMA!!!


.

1 comment:

  1. "I drive a VW Passat turbo-diesel; I love my fahrvergnügen, especially on hills, but the "clean diesel, bio-diesel" themes they're always pushing - especially over there in Europe - crack me up even more. It's diesel for crying out loud, let's call it for what it is - especially when you're passing on a hill, the fahrvergnügen's signature move; nice little black cloud of "bio-diesel" coming out the backside there"

    You must be driving a B4 or B4V. The B5 TDIs rarely smoke if you perform an "Italian Tuneup" every so often. Tune the computer on a B5 and you get 160+HP and 300 ft-lbs of torque. The car can easily climb the steepest hill without breaking a sweat and get 40+ mpg. The newest VW diesels from VW are actually cleaner than gassers and hybrids!

    Checkout the forums at www.tdiclub.com for the largest group of VW TDI owners on the net.

    ReplyDelete